Check out how to use raw beets in this easy creamy shredded beet and carrot salad with basil-garlic avocado-lime dressing that is gluten and dairy-free.
Disclaimer: Some of these links are affiliate links, this means when you sign up or purchase from these links we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. However, we only promote products and services that have provided insight and been very helpful to us. The Radiant Root is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Learn more about our disclosure statement.
Ingredients Used In This Recipe
This recipe contains the following ingredients:
- Raw shredded beets
- White onion
- Shredded carrots
- Lime juice
- Apple cider vinegar
How to Make this Recipe
The best thing about this beetroot slaw is you don’t have to cook the beets. All you have to do is prep and run them through a food processor. First, start by cutting off the ends of each beet. Then peel the skin off the beets. You might need a heavy-duty vegetable peeler to get the beet skin off.
The beets do tend to bleed color onto your hands. So you might want to wear gloves while peeling and beets to prevent your hands from turning pink.
Then cut the beets into small quartered pieces and run them through the food processor so they turn into shreds. Next, chop the ends off the carrots and peel the skin. Cut them in half and run them through the food processor.
If you do not feel like chopping the onion you can use the food processor to dice up the onion. First, peel the skin off of the onion. Then cut the onion into four small chunks that will fit into the mouth of the food processor.
Once you have your beet, carrot, and onion shredded set them aside and make the dressing.
How To Make The Dressing
A food processor or blender is also needed to make the dressing. Take a pitted avocado and blend it in the food processor until it’s soft. About 60 seconds. You may need to stop the food processor halfway and break up the pieces so they blend evenly. A riper avocado will blend easier.
Next blend in the lime juice and apple cider vinegar.
Then blend in garlic and basil.
Continue blending for about 3 minutes or until well blended. Then set the dressing aside.
How to Make The Salad
In a larger mixing bowl add the shredded beets and carrots.
Then add the diced onions and mix them together. Finally, top the salad with the avocado dressing.
Blend the salad ingredients with the avocado dressing until it the salad is well covered.
If you want an enhanced taste place the beetroot slaw in the fridge for about 30 minutes. If you can keep it in there overnight it will make it even more flavorful.
Equipment Used in this Recipe
- Food processor
- Vegetable peeler
- Mixing bowls
- Chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Garlic peeler
- Garlic press
- Measuring cups
- Mearsuring spoons
- Cutting board
*Some of these links are affiliate links, this means when you sign up or purchase from these links we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more in our disclosure statement.
Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad with Lime Avocado Dressing
- 3 cup raw beets (about 3 to 4 medium beets)
- 1 medium onion diced, peeled, and grated
- 2 cups carrots shredded (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 ripe avocado halved and pitted
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and pressed
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Cut the ends off each beet. Then peel the skin off of each beet.
- Cut the beets into pieces and place them into a food processor with a shredding blade and set the beet shreds aside.
- Cut the top and end off of each carrot, then chop them into small pieces and place them into a processor to be shredded and set them aside.
- Next, make the dressing. In a food processor place the avocado and blend for about until soft. About 60 seconds. You may need to stop halfway and break up the pieces so they blend evenly.
- Add the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, basil, and continue blending for about 3 minutes or until well blended and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the shredded beets, carrots, onion, and mix together.
- Top the beet mixture with the avocado dressing and blend well
- Refrigerate to marinate the flavors for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight, and serve.
More Salad and Slaw Recipes
- Beetroot and Cucumber Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Broccoli Potato Salad (Gluten and Dairy Free)
- Creamy Garlic Purple Sweet Potato Salad
- Golden Beetroot Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Watermelon Avocado Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Raspberry Coleslaw
- Kefir Coleslaw
- Red Cabbage Broccoli Slaw with Mango
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. All website services, content, and products are shared for informational purposes only. The Radiant Root and Jnettk LLC cannot provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your doctor or healthcare provider before making changes to your, diet, supplement regimen or lifestyle. Learn more in our disclaimer.